Search

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Mexican hand-off

I was recently in San Antonio and have been obsessed with corn tortillas ever since, so much so that I can't remember the last time I bought bagels or a loaf of bread. Instead, I've been all about melting cheese and toppings of fresh avocado, crisp lettuce and mild tomatillo sauce or spicy salsa (mood-dependant) over perfect, fresh tortillas.
That was, until a few days ago when I was rifling through my freezer and spotted some leftover chicken from a recent backyard barbecue that I had enjoyed very much. Could this chicken be the key to breaking me out of my latent Mexican food addiction? Alas, lady fate had other plans for me when I stopped by the grocery store later that day and felt the gravitational pull toward the Mexican Foods section, a brightly coloured area I had somehow missed over the past five years. And then I spotted a wee can of spicy enchilada sauce and before I knew it I was back at home cooking up fresh veggies in a pan, cubing up the BBQ chicken and enjoying my leftovers like nobody's business.
Here's how you can, too: Preheat the oven to 375C. Pour about half of one small can of red enchilada sauce into the bottom of a baking dish. Take small-sized corn (or flour) tortillas and warm them in the microwave for a few seconds to soften them (or in a pan over the stove). Dice 2 pieces of leftover barbecued chicken breast (or several pieces of dark meat) into bitesized pieces. In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil and sauté 1 cooking onion, 1 large chopped tomato and about 6 stems of fresh, chopped cilantro until vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken at the end to warm through, then dip each softened tortilla in enchilada sauce and spoon some of the chicken and veg mixture onto dipped tortillas and roll them up like cigars.
Fit rolls snugly together in baking dish and pour any remaining enchilada sauce overtop. Sprinkle with a cup of grated cheese (Monterey Jack, cheddar or mozzarella are good choices) and pop the dish into the oven for about 25 minutes or until cheese melts and browns. Top each serving (should serve four) with a dollop of yogourt or sour cream, or just a sprig of cilantro.
? Amy Rosen is the food editor at Canadian House & Home magazine.

No comments: