Search

Sunday 31 July 2011

Pakistan floods one year on: Your stories

It's been a year since Pakistan was hit by the worst floods in its history. At least 18 million people were affected, from Swat in the north to Sindh in the south. Across the country there was massive infrastructural damage and individuals struggled simply to find food.
Here BBC News website users speak about how the floods have changed their lives and what more needs to be done.

Ahsan Tajik: 'I think the government is reluctant to help'

Ahsan's house in Nowshera was submerged by flood water in 2010
Flood affected Nowshera in 2010. Photo: Ahsan Tajik  
Nowshera in north-west Pakistan was one of the first areas hit by rising waters in 2010
Things have certainly improved but rehabilitation has been very slow.
When the floods came last year, my two-storey house was completely submerged.
We had to move out for a month and we lost everything - furniture, possessions, electronics.
There was no electricity, so when we started to clean up, we had to use generators. The house was knee-deep in mud.
We are back at home now and although there are more monsoon rains at the moment, things are under control.

Start Quote

The NGOs are working very well at regeneration ”
End Quote Ahsan Tajik
I think the government is reluctant to help. They have issued a debit card (known as a "Watan card") which dispenses 20,000 rupees ($230) to flood victims.
However, not everyone has received one of these. We didn't get one despite having a house 7.5m (24ft) deep in water.
The NGOs are working very well at regeneration and providing homes, food and non-food items to the people who have lost their houses. They have certainly played a major role in Nowshera.
There are still some people living in the camps here but most have been shifted back. It is very difficult living in those conditions - no proper management of food, waste and washing facilities. It would be so good if everyone could be rehoused.
The government has been more organised this year and announced a month ago that the floods were coming.
Last time there was no warning, so at least people are better prepared this time. Some are even leaving their homes in preparation.

Omar Ashan Khan: 'People in remote areas are cold and hungry'

Omar Ashan Khan set up charity Survive International to bring aid to flooded remote communities
Omar Khan and Abdul Hamid  
Omar Khan with Abdul Hamid, who lost 14 family members in a landslide in Shangla
When the flooding started last year, a businessman I knew asked me to help him deliver some aid in Nowshera.
I took leave off work and we went there with 11 trucks full of rations, thinking I'd then go back to my job.
But while I was there, a man rang me from the more remote district of Shangla.
He told me that bodies had been floating down the streams for three days and nobody was coming to help - no NGOs, no government officials, even the military wasn't going there.
So I decided to go and and help.

Start Quote

Omar Ashan Khan
I often walk for five or eight hours to reach villages with food”
End Quote Omar Ashan Khan
It was a long and difficult journey, including 11 hours on a tractor, and when I got there, I saw a huge landslide that had destroyed many houses.

One man, Abdul Hamid, had lost 14 family members who were in one house - his wife, four sons and all his grandchildren had died. Only one of his sons survived but because he was in shock, he couldn't speak.
Since then, I've set up a charity and I've been providing food and rations to people in remote areas, where other NGOs won't go.
I often walk for five or eight hours to reach villages with food.
People in remote areas are cold and hungry - hundreds of thousands of them are still living in tents and their land has been destroyed. These poor people need food and shelter, the winters are freezing.
But things are getting better and Abdul Hamid's surviving son now speaks.

Habib Malik: 'Pakistan has become a huge part of my life'

Habib Malik is head of Islamic Relief Scotland and wrote a diary for the BBC about his experience delivering disaster relief in Pakistan, which he also documents on his own website
Habib Malik with Khatija, who was born during the floods  
Habib Malik with Khatija, born in the floods, who he is supporting in the village of Lumda, near Charsadda
I've just come back from Pakistan. It was my seventh trip to the country since last summer.
I was both happy and saddened by my visit this time - I was happy to see the children I am supporting.
But it was really hard to see people still living in tents as I travelled through Nowshera. I can't understand why they are still in tents a year on. The international donor community and Pakistan's government must urgently review what they are doing.
International donors need to reflect on their aid policies and whether they are fulfilling their promises to the country.
I don't think Pakistan's government can cope on its own with the scale of the impact. They need to prioritise rebuilding and prevention measures to ensure this doesn't happen again and become a vicious circle.
More monsoons are on their way - they were starting when I was there. The elders I spoke to are concerned by the strange climatic conditions: the weather switches between torrential downpours and unbearable heat.
But I was happy to see the children who I am following. There is a girl and two boys, all born during the floods.
The two boys are cousins and live in the same house in Ajabagh, Nowshera. I last visited them at Christmas.
I think of Khatija as one of my daughters. She'll be one this week. This year I spent Eid and Christmas - which is my birthday - with her.
These children are part of my life now, they're my personal link with Pakistan. They motivate me and help me to reflect and compare lifestyles.
I use their stories to illustrate what is happening in Pakistan when I am fundraising and giving presentations to people. Their stories are so powerful and have helped raise thousands, if not millions.
My involvement with Pakistan has become a huge part of my life.
Source: BBC News

No comments: