Search

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Model to watch, Philippa Gleeson - interview

Philippa Gleeson is a major face to watch in Australian modeling. She's got the same sunny smile and dreamy eyes as Miranda Kerr, but with a beguiling indie charm that's disarming in its unpretentiousness. A relative late-comer to the modeling game, Gleeson had a stellar first season at RAFW this year, and her agency are eyeing her for the international market. We caught up with her to find out a little bit more.

When you were scouted on the streets of Melbourne last year, what were your first thoughts?

First thoughts when scouts approached me? Not really something that I was interested in. A bit of a foreign concept. But here I am now and it's great!

Had you ever considered modeling as an option before that?
No, it was never something that crossed my mind growing up but I've found myself doing it now, so I'm just going with it and enjoying the opportunity!

You walked 17 shows at RAFW, including some of the week's best. Were there any stand outs? Any outfits you walked in you'd love to wear personally?
Every single show during the week was really incredible! The Lover show was particularly beautiful. Everything about it was really amazing. I would wear the entire collection. The Dion Lee show was pretty spectacular too. Being at the Opera House with the Harbour view behind us was really apt for such a collection.

What have been some of the biggest surprises since you started modeling? What does and does not match up to your expectations of what the industry would be like?
Every job I get is a pleasant surprise really! I'm just grateful to be working because it's pretty competitive and there's a lot of other models out there. I'm not sure if I ever conjured up any expectations before I started. I tend to take it day by day and not hold expectations. That could make you a little insane!

How do you spend your time when you aren't modeling?

On my days off you'll find me with my boyfriend... A very special person!

There's talk of you going overseas pretty soon, can you tell us a bit about where you'll be going and where you hope to end up?

Yeah I think that will be New York, which I'm really excited about. That's always been a place I've wanted to go so to be able to go there for work is pretty cool.

There are already comparisons being drawn between you and Miranda Kerr. Does she have the sort of career you'd be interested in developing? How would you feel about modeling putting you in the public eye?

There is? Well she's extremely successful and seems like a really nice person so that's a nice compliment. I don't really feel like modeling puts you in the public eye unless you are a celebrity model like her, so that's not something I have to worry about!

How did you keep yourself occupied backstage this fashion week?
Well usually it was just a massive rush from one show to the next so the stress of that was what would occupy my mind... Otherwise just having fun with the other girls.

Were you nervous taking to the catwalk, particularly in the swim shows you booked? Did you have any tricks to psych yourself up?

No it was all fun. I did get a little nervous before the Zimmermann show though because it was the first show of the week. Swim shows definitely trigger nerves more so than the others but nothing compared to how the designers are feeling I'm sure. I always think, "Oh their parents are probably out there watching... So I can't let them down!

Did you have a favourite show soundtrack this season? What sort of music do you listen to normally, and is this different from the kind you like to walk to?
I thought the live music at the Ellery show was really great because the majority used soundtracks. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music but a day doesn't go by for me without me listening to The Strokes.

No comments: